TEACHING/TRAINING/SUPERVISION OF HIGHER DEGREES:
SUPERVISION OF HIGHER DEGREES:
Professor P Ruff
Professor P Ruff and Dr. C. Penny:
- Doctor of Philosophy Thesis Supervisor (with Dr. P. Arbuthnot): Mr. Luigi Zampieri, University of Witwatersrand (2000-2003; graduated 2004): “P-glycoprotein expression levels in MCF-7 breast carcinoma cell lines following treatment with tamoxifen and TGF-β.”
- Master of Medicine Dissertation Supervisor (with Prof. B. Donde): Dr. Catherine Nyongesa, University of Witwatersrand (2003-2005; graduated with distinction): “Phase I study of concurrent cisplatin chemotherapy in patients with carcinoma of the cervix receiving pelvic radiotherapy.”
- Master of Medicine Dissertation Supervisor: Dr. Sze Wai Chan (2011): “EGFR mutations in lung cancer in South Africa.”
- Doctor of Philosophy Thesis Supervisor (with Dr. C. Penny): Ms. Karen Amoils, University of Witwatersrand (1999-2011; graduated 2011): “Oestrogen receptor mutations and their influence on breast cancer growth.”
- Doctor of Philosophy Thesis Supervisor (with Dr. C. Penny): Ms. Charleen Rupnarain, University of Witwatersrand (2005-2008; graduated 2009).
- Ms. B. Milner - PhD - Isolation and Characterization of Colon Cancer Stem Cells and the Effects of Epigenetic Modulation on Pluripotent Markers.
- Ms. A. Omar - PhD - Inhibition of Sonic Hedgehog pathway by small molecule inhibitors: Targeting colon cancer stem cells.
- Ms. N. Moodley - MSc. - The induction of KLF4 by coupled epigenetic therapies: Potential association with the WNT signaling pathway in colorectal cancer cell lines.
- Ms. A. Papadopoulos - MSc. - Reverse transcription loop mediated isothermal amplification for low cost HIV-1 viral load quantification in resource limited setting.
- Ms. N. Kruger - MSc - Effect of miR-7 levels on the chemosensitivity of EGFR overexpressing non-small cell lung cancer stem cells.
- Ms. N. Crawford - MSc - miRNA profiling of triple negative breast cancer: Identification of potential diagnostic markers and drug targets.
- Ms. T. Msibi - MSc - Investigating the notch signaling pathway in triple negative breast cancer.
- Mr. E. Fok - MSc - Discovering novel microRNA signatures and their potential use in the mutational analysis of KRas and BFaf genes in cancer.
|DR. G. DEMETRIOU||HEAD OF WARD 596, DEPARTMENT OF MEDICINE|
Supervision of Interns and Community Service.
Organizing GEMP 3-4 Exams.
GEMP 3 Case Studies.
GEMP 3-4 Medicine Block evaluations.
GEMP 3-4 Medical Unit Head drawing up time table for Internal Medicine and Oncology teaching.
PROFESSOR P. RUFF
Teaching Oncology Nurses at JCE.
Oncology lectures to GEMP 1-4.
GEMP 3 Medical School Day.
GEMP 4 Oncology Course.
|POSTGRADUATE: ||Medical Oncology Fellow and Medical Registrar teaching|
PROF P RUFF AND
DR. G. DEMETRIOU
DR C. PENNY